Monday, May 18, 2009

If You Don't Buy A Ticket, How Will You Win?

I have been active with the local Friends of the NRA committee for three years. We have a pretty good group of men and women. Our annual dinner/auction/event has placed well within the top seventy-five FNRA events nationally for the last several years. This year was no exception.

Part of our successes are that we do some vigorous planning, long before the annual event. We order our prizes, select the levels of the prize packages, and start deciding on what goes into the bucket draws, the silent auctions, and the live auction event.

We also have a pre-event drawing. This year we had twenty-one guns in a reload drawing. In a reload, a winning ticket gets put back into the pot. Theoretically, one person could win all twenty-one guns, but I would not want to be on the committee that had that occur. The pre-event needs to sell x amount of tickets to cover the costs of the guns involved and more tickets sold, the better the net at the end of the event.

Well, I waited until the last day to buy two tickets for myself. We sold every ticket printed and had folks calling all the committee members trying to find more. I had ordered two tickets after I sold a book and did not keep any for myself or Debi.

The day of the pre-event drawing, we had all the guns on display, a crowd of about 130 waiting for the results. Right in the middle of the draw, Brad Krueger, the FNRA field representative for Alaska, called my name. I figured that he was having a laugh at my expense, since I was talking to one of the guests and not paying any attention at all. No, he was really calling my name as a winner of one of the guns.

This one:



A Ruger LCP, in .380 caliber. Six rounds in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. So small it really does hide in the palm of my hand. It just so happens that Wal-Mart, less than one hundred yards away from the site of the drawing, had Remington Bonus packs of ball .380 (250 rounds for $67.00)

And to think that I almost didn't even bother to buy a ticket.

(Photo taken from Ruger's webpage)

No comments:

Post a Comment